Before you begin:
You will need to have the following information to set up a new IRS.gov taxpayer portal. Before you begin, make sure you have and know the following information:
- A valid email address
- Your social security (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Tax filing status and mailing address
- A valid drivers license or passport with a photo ID
- Mobile phone linked to your name (for faster registration) or ability to receive an activation code by mail. (Please note, choosing to receive an activation code by mail takes approx. 5-10 business days. Once received the registration process must be completed within a 30-day period, or a new activation code must be requested.
To begin registration:
- Go to IRS.gov.
- On the main page, on the left side of web page select the option that says, “view your account”.
- Select “Login to your Online Account”
- Select Create Account
- WHATS NEW: The IRS is now using a third-party identification site that uses biometrics to confirm your identity, known as ID.me. Registering with ID.me is the first step to completing your portal. Choose your login email and password and select Create an ID.me account. You will be asked to upload a picture of your driver’s license, followed by a snapshot of you, using your mobile phone camera or computer webcam. If you use your phone, a link will be sent to the mobile phone number you register on the site. This may take a moment to complete or even need to be attempted a couple of times. Taking a forward-facing photo in a well-lit room seems to provide the quickest results. Continue following any prompts to complete the set-up.
Once you have successfully created your account, if not automatically done, login using your email address and password you chose to register the account with. A security code will be sent to your mobile phone number on file and must be entered within the allotted time, usually within a five-minute window. Once you are successfully logged in, the first screen you will normally see will show your recent login attempt times and dates. This is a great way to monitor potential unauthorized attempts to access your account. From your home screen, you can choose from multiple options, including accessing the Child Tax credit portal, requesting a tax transcript for previously filed tax returns, information about your current year tax return and managing payments for taxes due and setting up a payment plan. Please note, each individual taxpayer much set up an account, even when you file as a married couple.